Monday, November 23, 2009

Rain and Reign

Homonyms – two words that sound the same but have different meanings and spellings. As a second grade teacher, this was one of my favorite lessons to teach. It figures. I’m a writer. I love words.

You probably expected me to talk about thankfulness this week, not homonyms. But this morning’s prayer time led me to discuss a simple truth: sometimes praying is difficult. Let’s be honest. Sometimes we don’t know what to pray or how to pray. Sometimes our gratitude sounds repetitive. Sometimes we lack words. It’s on those days I am especially thankful the Spirit intercedes on our behalf.

We don’t show this side of our prayer lives to others. In fact, we’d rather hide it. I haven’t seen an article lately on prayers that lack passion. Am I the only one who struggles on occasion? I know I’m not. Sometimes we are eager to pray, our mouths bursting forth from the fullness of our heart. Other days our hearts seem half-empty, and our mouths follow suit. But when asked to pray aloud in church, we always find a way to pray, clothing our words with our Sunday best. Kind of like homonyms, such prayers may sound the same as those from a sincere heart, but they are different.

Sometimes our hearts are filled with praise and thanksgiving, and praying comes easy. Other times our hearts are filled with grief and desperation, and our prayers erupt from the depths of our souls. A prayer offered sincerely, whether in joy or anguish, is an honorable one. Jesus said, "God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth." (John 4:24)

But still there are other times when our hearts are simply beating, and sincere prayers are laborious. Truth be told, most days our hearts are not overwhelmed with joy or pain. Most days our hearts read “average” on the barometer of emotion, and so seem our prayers; for from the heart, the mouth speaks. (Matt 12:34) But emotions should not drive our prayers. It is a spiritual love of God that should fill our hearts, not just an emotional one. This love encompasses all of us, transcending both emotion and intellect. It is based on a personal knowledge of God, that because of Jesus, His Spirit lives within us.

So how do I pray from this spiritual love when my joy is waning and my angst minimal? How do I approach the throne of God in spirit and truth with a heart that is simply beating? Today was one of those days. I have many things for which to be thankful, and I have concerns to bring to God in prayer. But my words did not flow readily. I did not wish to pray out of habit, or with pretty Sunday words. I desired to worship, praying in spirit and in truth. God led me to pray just two words: reign and rain.

The two greatest needs I have every day, regardless of my mood or circumstances, are for God to reign in me and to rain in me. Just because God lives in me doesn’t mean I honor Him as ruler of my life. So I must begin each day by bowing my heart and submitting to His lordship. Also each day, I need His Living Water of refreshment to quench my thirsty soul. Especially on days when the emotional barometer isn’t worth reading, I need a shower straight from His heart to enliven mine. I can thank Him in advance, as surely God will answer these two simple and sincere prayers every time I ask.

If we had a heavenly perspective of our salvation, we would overflow with joy every moment of every day, constantly thanking God in prayer for our blessings. But we are humans, still fighting battles of the flesh for a victorious view. Yet while our emotional delight may not spill over 100% of the time, we should be grateful that neither does our emotional strain. God may allow days or even seasons of desperation when it’s easier to be on our knees than on our feet, but thankfully these don’t last a lifetime. Everyone experiences reprieve.

But regardless of our emotional state, our spiritual state is constant. Our relationship with God is secure, and does not depend on the force of our feelings, or the wealth of our words. For this, I am also thankful. So on days like today, when my mouth is barren and my emotions are as still as the fog out my window, I’ll simply pray for rain.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful point about how our emotions don't have to affect our spiritual connection with God. Our anchor is in the Rock, and our wishy-washy emotions can't touch that!

His Study and His Scribe * Karyn Brownlee said...

Thanks so much for your comment. I received more emails from female friends and family on this post than any other. Seems I struck a chord with many women in my honest admission. I'm thankful to God for giving me the courage to share my journey of hills and valleys. He promises to be with us all the way, and He promises us a mountaintop ending! Praise God!

Denise Miller Holmes said...

As we move toward spiritual maturity, we worry less about whether or not we're doing the Christian walk "right" and concentrate more on His Presence. The changes come organically, from the inside, no matter what we're feeling. The challenge is to just keep walking.
Thanks for this post, Karyn.