Monday, August 31, 2009

What now?

A new season is upon me. I am no longer a stay-at-home mom. A stay-at-home wife yes, but as for mothering, it’s all long-distance now.

We spent last week driving our daughter 22 hours north to her new home, a small Christian college in gorgeous Mid-Atlantic country ,where she will busy herself with new friends, continue to swim competitively and study art. She is experiencing a little of heaven on earth today, and for that I am truly grateful.

But what now for this mom, this leader-learner lady, this former school principal turned Christian writer, Bible teacher and mentor? God only knows, and I take comfort in the fact that He does.

Today, He reminded me that He has plans for me. I love it when God is so obvious, don’t you? And not only obvious, but often humorous! In the past few weeks I’ve been reading The New Eve: Choosing God’s Best for Your Life by Robert Lewis. I took it with me on the trip thinking I’d continue reading, but of course was too busy, or at least too distracted. So this morning when I picked up the book, I hadn’t the foggiest notion of where I had left it last. I opened to my page marker, my latest memory verse index card, and was stopped in my tracks. After shedding tears of joy and sorrow this morning over this change of season, I found myself staring at the next subsection in the book entitled “Married Empty Nester”. Now you tell me that isn’t evidence of God’s living activity! And to think He cared enough to orchestrate such timing! I must wipe away my tears and rejoice in such amazing love.

So what now? God only knows. But I can be assured of this – as long as I continue to pursue Him and His plan, He will continue to show up and guide me along the path. I pray that you, too, recognize God’s living leadership in your life today.

2 comments:

Lynda Pleckan said...

Karyn,
I'm glad I found your blog. I really enjoy your writing style. Isn't life grand when we let our Father, who knows the plans He has for us, lead us? My daughter is now 26, and we've been empty nesting since she went off to college at 18! The Lord led me to writing again, and I write on HubPages about life, inspiration, gratitude, etc., and here about my passion, paper arts.

His Study and His Scribe * Karyn Brownlee said...

Lynda,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. As a writer, you know what an encouragement it is to hear that someone out there is reading and receiving a blessing from what God is putting on your heart to put into words. And once again, His timing is perfect! I look forward to reading your writing also.
Blessed to be a blessing,
Karyn