Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Less Perfectly Penned

“Less perfection, more production.” This is one of those repeated messages from God in my life. Do you get repeated messages, too? I wonder sometimes if I am the only slow learner needing so much reteaching!

My first lesson in this area was in delegation. As a young teacher, Sally Beard, a teaching teammate in Lubbock Texas, saw me measuring the spaces between the perfectly-cut letters I had just made for my bulletin board one day and told me I did NOT have time to do that. She did not hesitate to mentor me by sharing some of her effective practices in running a classroom, and I am forever grateful that she cared enough to do so. Needless to say, she was a devoted follower of Jesus and a lover of His soul and of His people. I learned that giving up control of the bulletin board to some trustworthy moms freed me to focus on that which was of greater priority, while also valuing their gifts, service and investment in their children’s lives. It promoted both productivity and relationships. How cool is that?

A second lesson learned was from another fellow educator who took the time to mentor me in school administration. I was the Assistant Principal to Julie Combs, a highly-respected elementary school principal in town. I remember noting how her emails were void of punctuation and capital letters on occasion, and how her plans and notes were oftentimes a somewhat messy combination of typing and handwriting. Neither of these examples appeared perfect to me, yet they were both productive. I learned that the time it would have taken her to perfect her projects was sometimes not worth the payoff. Instead, lack of perfecting sometimes produced a larger payoff, because it provided her more time for other priorities.

As such, I am considering writing less perfectly more often in this venue. Please let me know what you think! Also, if you do not have a blog account set up so you can comment, I encourage you to do so. It isn’t difficult to do, and it will allow more than just me to read your comments, promoting more community and conversation. Many of you email me directly, and I love that. But I’d also love for you all to connect with one another. The purpose of my blog should be more than an outlet for my very opinionated nature. It must be about promoting greater good in the world, and our collective opinions will do more to accomplish that than any one person’s could do alone.

2 comments:

StarTreck said...

:-) Personally I liked the copy you sent via email which says it a bit differently than this..."Julie Combs, a highly-respected elementary school principal in town." In your email it says a "highly-re spected" I likt the latter batter( my own opps and suddenly we are talking about cake baking)....
I want to know what she might look like in her new spectacles!!?? And it was a great faux pau (sp??) to illustrate your writing beautifully. :-) Well said....

Bria said...

"Perfection" like everything else in life is good in moderation. (note, that none of us can really ever reach true perfection.) There are times when a taking pride in the details is worth the time, but as Karyn has pointed out there are also times when it is not. I happen to be a person that easily lets go of the details. I write emails without punctuation and I don't follow recipes because it takes too effort to measure. But I think the overall message is not allowing perfection or laziness to get in the way of our top priorities. I think as each of us examines our lives we can see the little things that hold us back from our potential. Karyn, it is great to hear how you listen to God and you challenge the things that can take over sometimes. Thanks for being an inspiration.